Many of our visitors at Fanad Lighthouse will have had a special canine welcome from Sam. He loves to meet people from all over the world and is looking forward to being back on duty when we re-open after our COVID-19 closure period. Here are a few things you may not know about our official greeter and ball-catcher.
- His full name is Sam Maguire, named after the All-Ireland Gaelic football trophy. Sam arrived with his family in Donegal on the day that Donegal won the prestigious trophy in 2012, hence his name.
- Sam is a Spaniel Poodle
- He belongs to Eimear, our manager (or is it the other way around?)
- Sam has his own Instagram account (@sammaguireofficial)
- He has made a big impression on a few celebrities in his time, including Ryan Tubridy, Michael Murphy, and Coronation Street’s Jim McDonald.
- Sam is bilingual – he understands commands in both Irish and English. Eimear says he ‘lights up when he hears the words Teach Solais / Lighthouse’.